geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Lets start moving to m2
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:43:11 GMT
FWIW I had talked with Jason Vanzyl yesterday here at Apachecon and asked him about how they
would
do the conversion.  It was a short conversation but his comment was that reorganizing the
tree wasnt
overly critical but it makes sense at the right time.

One of the suggestions he had was to make a list of things that need to be done and then get
them
done one at a time.  In his experience trying to move to a full M2 environment from M1 is
best done
incrementally and not all at once.  As Jason pointed out there may be some loss of functionality
but
that should be weighed against productivity.

I have only been following this thread as e-mails come in but have not expended the time you
guys
have so forgive me if I ask obvious questions.

Is there a set of steps that we need to accomplish to get the build working under M2?

Is there a priority order to them?

What are the fit and finish things we can do after the conversion is complete to allow people
that
working on Geronimo the ability to be as productive as possible?

I know Prassad and Anita have been working on this very hard and I've seen David Jencks and
others
pulling this together.  I think it would be good to outline the actions and help everyone
understand
what needs to be done to help get this important work completed.

Also, can we start a new thread like "M2 Issues and Actions" :)