geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: liferay
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:09:35 GMT

Paul McMahan wrote:
> Liferay is an open source portal made available under the MIT license.
> They provide a geronimo+liferay distribution from their website,
> which is basically a zipped up geronimo/tomcat server with liferay
> already deployed. I had some problems starting a fresh install of this
> distribution due to hsql database driver issues.  Hopefully new users
> who experience this same problem will find the entry I posted in
> liferay's support forum about how to get it working:
> http://forums.liferay.com/index.php?showtopic=5348

I was the one who helped get the Liferay implementation running with the
Liferay guys.  I personally got it running fine on MySQL.

> Liferay currently uses a snapshot of geronimo 1.1 from 5/3/2006 which
> has the new versioning functionality but as you can imagine is missing
> several important bug fixes and schema changes.  I got their WAR
> working in geronimo 1.1 after making some adjustments to its
> geronimo-web.xml.  When geronimo 1.1 is officially released I'll offer
> my assistance to help them upgrade to it.

Yes...we used 1.1 SNAPSHOT because it was the best available to move
forward with.  I am currently working with them to get the Enterprise
version working...hopefully next week.  If you want to join in...by all
means please do ;-)

> I also think and have heard others mention that liferay is a great
> candidate for a geronimo plugin. Adding the necessary plugin files to
> the liferay WAR is straightforward.  But there are a couple of
> interesting challenges where I would like to get your input.   First
> is that the plugin prereqs a database pool.  Some expert users will
> want to manually create and populate the database and then use the
> console to point a db pool at it before installing the liferay plugin.
> But I imagine that some developers and more casual users would like
> for geronimo to automatically create a database pool for them as part
> of the liferay plugin install process.  That way they could add a
> working portal server to their geronimo server with only a few clicks
> in the console (remember Joe's mom? ;-)

When I did the professional version I placed an automagically created DB
pool...but with MySQL.  But it was proof of concept since who knows if
someone is going to be using MySQL or not or where the database would
even live.  But to offer a plugin for Derby would be great IMHO for
people to "try it out"...since Derby will likely live with Geronimo. But
obviously when using an enterprise class database, it made no sense to
include it since the locations may be anywhere.  It would be difficult
to provide plugins for this.

> For this latter class of users geronimo could provide a plugin that
> defines a derby datasource and automatically populates the database
> when the plugin is installed.  Does this sound like a reasonable idea?
> I thought geronimo might already provide some facility to populate
> the database and I found this dev thread from last year where its
> proposed but (I assume) not implemented yet :
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200511.mbox/%3c0293590575765d45a9bfccfe7220a654@yahoo.com%3e
>
> This idea sounds right on to me.  Are others still in favor of it?  If
> so then I would like to work on an implementation. By the way,
> liferay currently does not support derby but I have it (mostly)
> working via a patch that I'll submit to them later.

For Derby...absolutely!

> The second interesting aspect of creating liferay plugin is that
> liferay wants to use '/' for its context root.  The problem is that
> the geronimo welcome app is already installed in the '/' context root
> and this prevents liferay from starting.  I tried moving it to a
> different context root but then hard-coded references to scripts and
> images in their html started breaking.     Is there a way to make
> geronimo override a context root such that last in wins?  Or could the
> plugin metadata specify the required context root so that the console
> can warn the user about potential conflicts before installing the
> plugin? Any ideas?

According to their documentation for the other appservers, they have you
remove ROOT context.  This seems to be the way they do it.