geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Request change to RTC Process
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:21:56 GMT

Kevan Miller wrote:

> In Ken's announcement of the change to the commit model, he stated
> that a +1 to an RTC request means "I have applied this patch and
> tested it and found it good". Although a relaxation of this
> interpretation has been suggested (or mentioned), to my knowledge
> nothing has actually changed.

Correct.

> In some areas of Geronimo (e.g. devtools), this is a cumbersome and
> difficult task for most committers. The fact that there are not more
> committers interested in these areas of Geronimo is an acknowledged
> issue. However, it's unlikely that current Geronimo committers want
> to be intimately familiar with some of these Geronimo components --
> we've all had our chance to get involved, so far, but have chosen not
> to.

Noted.

> That's a specific problem with the current process. However, I think
> there's a general problem with this interpretation for all areas of
> Geronimo.

IMHO, the problem lies with Geronimo, not with the interpretation.

> (I'd also like to shove 1.1. out
> the door...)

> In the meantime, I propose the following interpretation of a +1 vote
> to an RTC request:
>
> "I have reviewed (and possibly tested) this patch and found it good.
> I understand the capability which the patch is adding and support the
> direction in which it is taking the Geronimo project"

No, that is inadequate.  RTC is not something to 'get around;'
it's a fundamental way of progressing.  If something fails to
garner three +1 votes, it means that there aren't three people
who care enough about it for it to go into the code.  It's up
to the person/people behind the item to drum up support for
it.  It doesn't go in until three people have verified that
it works acceptably.

If that means things languish for weeks or months, then
that's what it means.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"