geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:31:51 GMT
Hiram, I care if a private or commercial entity has control over the
default option.  To give you and the list some insight into why I am
concerned and care, here is an e-mail I sent in response to a private
e-mail from Aaron after I started the "Questions about
www.geronimoplugins.com" site thread on the dev list.  I didn't get any
response to my mail.  I think we need to discuss these concerns and how
they could be addressed.

Regards,
John

Hi Aaron,

I like the concept of the plugins site. I get concerned when important
things like this aren't discussed openly before being implemented.

I'm pretty sure you weren't planning on doing anything nasty, but I am
more concerned (with my ASF hat on) with some of the issues that may be
encountered in the future such as:

- Arguments over why an external site was made the default instead of an
ASF site, possibly giving the owners of the site a financial advantage
(e.g. advertising on the site etc.)  I have no problems with you having
your own plugins site, but if it is the default, it is though the ASF is
endorsing it and giving you an advantage over anyone else who would like
to do the same.
- Concern whether in the long run the site can continue to afford the
bandwidth, maintenance etc without charging for it
- What is there to stop you getting nasty if things go sour?  What would
the impact on Geronimo be if that happened considering you would have a
reasonable amount of traffic/exposure going to your plugins site?

In a perfect world I wouldn't have these concerns..

One way some of these concerns could be overcome is to have non ASF code
hosted in an "open" hosting environment where an individual/company does
not hold the keys to the site.

If you want to chat more, you can contact me via IRC or my yahoo ID
********** but I would prefer this to be discussed openly.

Regards,

John