geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts about what a release is
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:09:44 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I am a bit torn here, because I agree with both of you depending on
> which code we are talking about.  Geronimo is a large project and I
> think we will be doing ourselves a disservice if we attempt to treat
> all of the code the same.  For example, I think Alan's comments apply
> best to the core transaction processing parts of geronimo, and I think
> think Aaron's comments apply best to non-critical parts of the server
> like the console and tooling.  I would be upset if someone tried to
> add a new feature to the core server in a micro release, but if they
> say added a new command to the cli or a new portlet, I wouldn't be
> upset at all.
>
> Can we find a compromise where critical code moves more conservatively
> and non-critical code gets more liberal rules?  If not, I think we
> should start talking about how to divide up the code base into
> independently versioned released components.  This will take a lot of
> effort in architecture and organization in our team.  I'd rather not
> do it at this time, but maybe the time has come sooner that I wanted.

Core stuff is more important to you because, well, that's what you work
on.  What you consider "fluff" stuff may be critical to others.

Splitting the product into separate lines would not cause time tested,
industry standard, principals to not apply to apply to those new
proposed product lines.  I would feel just as strongly about the pieces
as I would the whole.

Regards,
Alan