geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GBeans representing separately persistent data
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:44:29 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I think the problem here is the GBean framework is not flexible enough
> to support this.  The integrations of Tomcat, Spring, ServiceMix, and
> ActiveMQ have been extremely painful and have resulted in (no offense)
> very limited integrations.

No offense taken.  Painful is an understatement ;-) But, what's limited
about them?  From the Tomcat perspective, I believe we support nearly
all Tomcat objects as well as have enhanced features, such as the
ability to run 2+ full Tomcat containers at the same time under one house.

Do you have suggestions on what can be done to make the integrations better?

With that said...it has been difficult having the GBean wrappers
up-to-date with changes in the Tomcat APIs.  I would have much rather
plugged in the container and leveraged Tomcat as much as possible...but
I digress...

> The approach Aaron has laid out is in my mind the best given the current
> technology, but I'd rather not see us go down the path of adding more
> deployers.  The deployers are the major thing holding back integration
> of XBean (this is why I rearchitected OpenEJB deployment in dead-1.2).
> Then again, if I were you, I don't think I would believe that a XBean
> integration is ever coming.

Again, as long as his Job GBeans do not prevent one from using the
generic Quartz API to create jobs, then I am fine with it.

Jeff