geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's the Wiki story?
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:15:20 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 6/12/06, Hernan Cunico <hcunico@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, plugins are part of Geronimo and they should be
>> in the 1.1 documentation space.
>

> I diasgree.  Plugins will be versioned separately from Geronimo, and
> will not all be developed by the Geronimo team.  What will we do with
> the Geronimo 1.1 documentation if Plugin Foo is at version 1.0 when
> Geronimo 1.1 ships, but Plugin Foo goes through version 1.1, 1.2, and
> 1.3 before Geronimo 1.2 ships?  Will we constantly be updating the
> Geronimo 1.1 documentation?  I don't think that makes sense.
>
> I think there should be a Plugins space with the Plugin Foo
> documentation.  In the Geronimo 1.1 documentation we can include a
> list of known available plugins with references to their individual
> documentation pages, or we can actually repeat some common usage of
> popular plugins, but I don't think we should try to capture the
> current state of all plugins (and either have it get terribly outdated
> or need frequent changes to the "finished" parts of the 1.1
> documentation).

The plugin space you are talking about is to hold documentation for each of the available
plugins,
do I get that right? if so we may need to bring up (one more time) to this thread the what's
and
why's for the plugins.

Plugins, the concepts, implementation and development should be part of the Geronimo v1.1

documentation as they are incorporated in this new release. Any plugin developed by the Geronimo

community (and with Apache License) should be part of this and future documentation (if apply).
don't think we should expand much of other kind of plugins as we will not have much control
of that
development (versioning, status, bugs, licensing, etc)

>> The plan is, as I proposed several times in earlier emails, to move
>> all the content from MoinMoin to
>> Confluence. Most of the content in the MoinMoin is outdated or
>> duplicated, the docs that are still
>> valid should be moved to a section within the new structure in
>> confluence. Those topics that don't
>> fit either the User's or Developer's guide should go into the Geronimo
>> SandBox space which is
>> version independent. This space should hold historical data like the
>> logo contest for example.
>

> OK.  Who's going to do that migration?  Also, I have to say, I don't
> think that putting documentation in a different Wiki is going to
> automatically keep it up to date.  It's a nice opportunity to clean
> up, but I imagine we'll need a regular cleaning process if we don't
> want our Wiki to get out of date.

Also in previous emails, I volunteered to do that myself unless somebody else wants to. The
new
proposed structure should make it easier to maintain the content up to date.

Hernan