geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <>
Subject Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:10:21 GMT

Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Jeff Genender <> wrote:
>> There is no obligation for you to consult me to take the Directory
>> integration, re-package it, and place it on  But
>> out of basic respect, opening up the discussion of others on the idea,
>> and then yes, as your friend, and colleague, asking me how I felt about
>> taking the package and placing it on (which I did write and spend
>> my time putting together), probably would have been most appropriate.
>> It is kind of demoralizing for me to see the work that I did, end up on
>> the geronoimplugins site w/o discussion from a colleague of mine.  I
>> hope that makes sense...
> Some code that you wrote and licensed using the Apache License got
> reused and you find it demoralizing? This is completely in the letter
> and the spirit of the Apace License. How is such reuse demoralizing?
> Not only is this legal, it's encouraged. Please help me understand
> this sentiment.

Perhaps I am not being very good at communicating...let me paste what I
wrote before, and you can perhaps show me the error of my feelings...

"Although nothing in the Apache License prohibits you from doing this,
it would have been prudent and shown respect to your peers who put
together the example applications and the Directory integration, to have
had some discussions about doing this and how they felt about it.  Its
more of a ethical and respect issue, IMHO."

The words I am trying to convey here are "ethical, respect, and
prudent".  Being that we are all friends, I think we can abide by the
spirit of the law, rather than the letter.  Would you agree?

> Bruce

View raw message