geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RELEASE-NOTES-1.1
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:59:36 GMT
Erin Mulder wrote:
> Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>>I updated the release notes and it is ready for your review
>

> Looks good!  A few comments:
>
> 1) Under system requirements, I think it should mention that Geronimo
> will run fine on Java 5 out of the box, and offer the caveats that it is
> only J2EE-certified on 1.4 and that in particular, you will need to run
> under 1.4 if you enable CORBA support.

Could you work on a line or two to reword this section? Not too sure how to word it as we
are
telling we certified for 1.4 but it works fine with Java 5

> 2) Under "Administration Console Security Configuration", it should
> mention that the username/password can be changed within the console
> itself.  e.g. "This can be changed through the console (in the "Security
> -> Console Realm" section) or by editing <geronimo_home>/var......"

DONE

> 3) Looks like there's a typo in the "Deploying Applications" section.
> It says "<geronimo_home>/bin/java -jar....." instead of just "java
> -jar....."

Where is the typo? you mean we should not mention the directory here?

> 4) In that same section, perhaps worth mentioning that you can run the
> login command in the deployer tool and not have to enter the password
> over and over.  It's kind of a minor detail, but constant retyping of
> passwords could ruin the deployment experience for people.

DONE. Login is a nice feature while testing although for production users may want to keep
more
control on the actual user deploying the apps.

> 5) Under "Choice of Web container", it sounds a little open-ended to say
> "Please download the binary appropriate for your environment."  People
> will wonder what it is that makes one or the other appropriate for their
>  environment.   Not sure how to say it better, but perhaps indicate that
> choosing one at random is fine if you or your company don't already have
> a preference?

This is pretty much untouched from the previous release notes. I rephrased it a little bit
but still
is lacking of a good speech for choosing one container over the other. We have the same problem
in
the documentation, any ideas on how to better articulate the "pros and cons"?

> Cheers,
> Erin

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers!