geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on using JIRA more effectively
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 04:35:08 GMT
Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> John Sisson wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>>>
>>> I tend to do release management tasks too, so thought I'd offer
>>> thoughts.

>>> At first I thought this was bad, but the existence of a 1.x version
>>> means that you can still keep the vision of the major release going
>>> without making it hard to do minor releases. Seems like a good idea to
>>> me.

>>> Probably a bit too far. The process here is going to depend on when
>>> you branch the release, so:
>>>
>>> *) pre-branch - general conversation about the important things in
>>> this release (and are thus assigned to 1.2 etc), people fixing things
>>> randomly and throwing in (and as they resolve they move to 1.2 - there
>>> should be no resolveds in 1.x).
>>> *) post-branch - nothing should move to 1.2 without lots of discussion.

>>> New issues are unversioned. Component leads look at the issue and then
>>> assign them to 1.x, wishlist, 2.x, verification required, wontfix
>>> (resolving) et al.
>> I am concerned that having Component leads is against the ASF way.
>> The last thing we want is for the community to feel there is a
>> hierarchy and opening up the opportunity for people to claim they are
>> the leader of component/team X.  Everyone should be a peer.
>
> I agree with the idea that we are peers but I think people have
> natural areas of expertise that fall out.  (Well, apart from Jencks
> who seems to be able to do anything :-)
>
> In general though I might change something related to a bug or a
> performance problem but know that if its Tx related I'll call on
> Jencks, or Console related give Aaron a heads up.  I don't think
> having people that are knowledgable in a given area as a main contact
> is an issue.  However, they also need to look at the needs of the
> project and help mentor folks as well.

I agree that people have natural areas of expertise.  I am just wary of
seeing people marketed as the "Leader of component/team X" by their
employers or in articles/books (and they have the JIRA screen to back it
up without an explanation of what it really means).  What if two people
consider themselves experts in a component, AFAIK, JIRA can only have
one lead for a component? Will one get upset at the other being chosen
as the Lead?  How is a lead selected and what is the length of their term.

In a perfect world I wouldn't see any problems with this, but I can see
some potential issues here.  What do others think?

John

>>> Maybe have a weekly report of unassigned issues so the release manager
>>> can nudge people.
>>>
>>> I always have an urge to have IRC triage sessions with decisions
>>> reported back to the mail list, interesting to hear what Ken thinks on
>>> that.
>> The IRC triage sessions are a good idea - with the importance on
>> results being posted on the dev list.  Hopefully Jason will be able
>> to get the IRC logs posted to the dev list, so no-one misses out on
>> the detail.

>> If a JIRA is not marked as in-progress then people should be
>> encouraged to ask the assignee whether they can take it off their hands.
>>
>> I am also wondering whether we should have Geronimo Bug Guidelines
>> page (e.g. like http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html )
>> on the website off the JIRA link that discusses JIRA usage and may
>> help prevent JIRA being used as a place to ask questions, with the
>> link to JIRA on that page.
>
> Excellent idea John.  I'd like to coalesce the thinking in this thread
> and put something like that together.  Are you volunteering :)
I would be happy to put together a page similar to Derby's for review,
I'll created GERONIMO-2080 and assigned to myself.

John