geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Thoughts on using JIRA more effectively
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:52:07 GMT
Having done two releases I have some thoughts on how we are using JIRA.  I imagine that there
are a
number of thoughts on how we can manage JIRA.

Currently we create a release and then pretty much dump most everything into it.  What ends
up
happening is that we end up with more JIRAs than we have time to complete and end up with
over a
hundred JIRAs than move from version to version.  I don't think this solution works because
one
never knows what's really left in a release to complete before its golden.  Our intentions
are noble
(let's fix all those bad bugs) but of course our time is a limited resource and we can't always
get
everything done.

I propose (this is not a vote; simply a discussion thread) that new JIRA's are assigned to
a release
if the person assigning it is going to fix it and they assign it to themselves.

For new issues that are not being worked on they get put into another category like 1.x, wishlist,

etc.

I'm not sure how to handle assignment of JIRAs as they generally fall into someone's area
of
expertise but I think the fact their assigned to someone might scare someone away from looking
at it
   .  Thoughts?

Rather than pushing the morass of JIRA's in 1.1 into 1.2 and repeating our previous behaviour
I'm
using 1.x, wishlist and Verification Required as the dropping point for JIRA's out of 1.1.
 For
those things we can work on in 1.2 they'll get moved there.

This will make releasing a whole lot easier from a goat herding perspective.

I am not an Administrator and don't play one on TV but this elephant has been in our living
room too
long :)

Matt