geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: geronimo javamail and James (Was: [RTC] Removal of the javamail-transport code.)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:57:51 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> Why would we need both?
>>
>> We don't need both at the same time.
>> But:
>> 1) I guess that geronimo-javamail is not as stable and feature
>> complete as the sun-javamail.
>> 2) We use javamail 1.4 apis (geronimo-javamail seems to be 1.3 compliant)
>>
>> So what I think we could do is adding the handling of geronimo
>> specific stuff while keeping the default to sun.
>> This way one could test it and find out the differences.
>
> 1) Maybe not as stable.  What features do you think are missing?

I've not checked geronimo smtp transport, Is there a feature list for
current geronimo stmp implementation compared to sun smtp transport?

Does it support the quitwait? bindaddress/port for sockets? does it
support appending further strings at the end of the MAIL command and the
RCPT command (ORCPT, NOTIFY).
How does it compare in converting messages from 7bit to 8bit when
sending to  servers that supports 8bitmime, and from 8bit to 7bit when
sending to servers that do not support 8bitmime?

Stefano

PS: About the 7bit<->8bit mime conversion I wrote some mail to the
javamail interest and seems that they are buggy in the sun-javamail
transport.