geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Unable to build using m2
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:43:35 GMT

On Jun 27, 2006, at 9:26 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 8:41 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> Probably...
>>
>> But is it really needed to build the sever?
>
>  yes, how else would it have ejb support?
>
> Obviously openejb is not required to build anything in "modules" as
> the build is supposed to proceed
>
> specs
> modules
> m2-plugins
> openejb
> apps
> configs
> assembly
>
> I haven't tried a top level build, maybe there are some bugs in
> it.  Maybe after jason's proposed splitting of modules into smaller
> more focussed pieces we can release some kind of core geronimo jars
> and they will be stable enough so it is plausible to release
> openejb on a separate schedule.   Maybe openejb3 won't use any
> geronimo classes and we'll have an openejb integration in
> geronimo.  These are giant changes far larger than the m2
> conversion.  Until we do something along those lines, I don't
> understand why we'd assure that no builds ever worked by taking
> openejb out of the build.

I agree largely with what you're saying sans the perspective that the
build is guaranteed to break if one doesn't build openejb during a
geronimo build.  I might politely point out you're succumbing to
frustration and exaggerating the issue.

With continuum building and publishing snapshots of geronimo and
openejb as they are updated in svn, failed geronimo builds due to old
openejb jars is an uncommon problem.  The only current issue in that
regard is that since codehaus went down and came up with new infra,
we haven't worked out how to publish any codehaus jars (tranql,
openejb), hence people as of recent are having issues with both of
those.  That needs to get fixed.

But concretely, the problem is solvable within a tolerance of an hour
or so by continuously publishing the projects.  It could be solved
with zero tolerance for failure if the person committing the change
published new openejb snapshots.

-David