geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Unable to build using m2
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 02:14:52 GMT
FYI... if I comment the openejb/modules and `mvn install` I get:

<snip>
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Plugin could not be found - check that the goal name is
correct: Unable to download the artifact
from any repository

Then, install it using the command:
     mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.plugins -
DartifactId=geronimo-packaging-plug
in \
         -Dversion=1.2.0 -Dpackaging=maven-plugin -Dfile=/path/to/file

   org.apache.geronimo.plugins:geronimo-packaging-plugin:maven-plugin:
1.2.0

from the specified remote repositories:
   codehaus-dist (http://dist.codehaus.org/mojo/m2-snapshots),
   snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)

   org.apache.geronimo.plugins:geronimo-packaging-plugin:maven-plugin:
1.2.0

from the specified remote repositories:
   codehaus-dist (http://dist.codehaus.org/mojo/m2-snapshots),
   snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)
</snip>

I'm also a little bit mystified as to why we are managing versions of
modules that we build with properties in each module.  There should
be one <version> tag in the top-level module, and all children omit
this tag and pick it up be inheritance.  The added properties and tag
configuration is just adding extra complexity to the build with no
reason.  I understand that some of this might be legacy picked up
from exp using m1, but m2 is a different beast and IMO we should drop
any of the m1-isms whenever possible/prudent.

Also, why is the main-build using 1.2-SNAPSHOT and the plugin is
1.2.0?  This all seems kinda fishy to me.

And, I don't see any reason why the root pom needs to define
properties and then use those properties for each and every
dependency in the dependencyManagement section.  I believe that when
a version number is used more than once, say for the spring jars that
it is easier/better to manage a single property that is used by all
of the dependencies.  But to force all dependencies to use these
properties when the property is used in only one place is added
overhead which means more complex and fragile builds when
configuration changes.

--jason