geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Draft Press Release Announcing Geronimo 1.1
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:18:50 GMT

> Apache Geronimo Version 1.1, a completely open source, high performance application server
from the
> Apache community.

I hope it's not too late to respond and be counted. When I first read
the above sentence the word 'completely' in front of 'open source'
struck me. What does it mean? Are we about to create yet another 'open
source' acronym? Does OSS mean nothing and COSS is the only real open
source?

I don't like 'high performance', either. It seems that the world of
design and development is heading to simpler architectures, but
neither are advertisements, which are getting longer and longer and
longer...I'd prefer we use an open source J2EE 1.4-certified
application server - simple and easy to remember. Just as our web page
starts with.

> JDK 1.5 support is included,

What does it mean? Is it different as it was previously? I don't get it.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl