geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Dillon" <jason.dil...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:20:53 GMT
I think SuSE-like would be a good idea too.

--jason

-----Original Message-----
From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:34:39
To:dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager

In the spirit of greater openness and communication, please elaborate
on 'thing have been "quietly" injected into Geronimo'.

As far as I can tell, the main source of the 1.1 delay was that the
module ID changes (new syntax, groupless or versionless dependencies,
etc.) caused a ton of problems, in the TCK, the deployment tools, the
console, and so on.  When the original deadline came, the product was
not stable enough to ship.  I'm sure that some of the features I've
worked on have contributed -- mainly the keystore changes, which
caused some TCK failures until we updated the keystore configuration
for it.  Still, we've talked about some of the reasons for this, and I
think we all want to try to make the 1.2 changes more incremental and
keep the TCK passing at all times to avoid major disconnects as we
move forward.

As far as the release schedule goes, I'm disappointed that we missed
the deadline, and then didn't really update our road map...  If there
was a new target date or plan it seemed pretty informal -- there
didn't seem to be anything posted to the dev list or the web site, etc
(though based on Jeff's comments it sounds like there was and I missed
it?).  Now we're trying to put out a release when our only
preview/release candidate has been available for less than a week.  I
contrast that to the SuSE process where there were at least 12
well-defined test builds (9 or more beta builds and 3 or more RC
builds) at well-defined interrvals.  As a user, I certainly
appreciated that I could get and try the latest, submit bug reports,
check the release calendar for the date of the next test build, get it
and test the fixes, etc.  I don't think that one build and 72 hours is
sufficient to convince me that 1.1 is a stable release.  I don't feel
strongly enough to override a majority opinion, if there is one, but
I'd like to try a much more SuSE-like release strategy for 1.2 and see
how it goes.  If that doesn't work so well either, we'll regroup and
try something different for the release after.

Thanks,
    Aaron