geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Life After 1.1 - starting the new branch for 1.1.1 - some logistics and your input requested.
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:50:44 GMT
Why would a "branch" get moved to a "tag"?  Why do we need branches
for revisions?  Why are we deleting branches?

IMO, we should have a branch for each Major.Minor, where all of the
Major.Minor.Revision work happens.  So branches/1.1 would hold the
active work for 1.1.x.  When it is time to make a release, then svn
cp from branches/1.1 to tags/1.1.1, and then keep working on 1.1.2 on
branches/1.1

IMO, branches should never become tags.  Tags only get copied to new
branches when we need to apply critical fix to a specific release,
otherwise we should just roll up the change into the next release of
the series.

I recommend minimizing branching where possible, so I don't think
that branches for 1.1.1 or 1.1.1.0 are a good idea.  SVN is not that
good at merging, and making it simple (like Perforce), so lets try
not to set ourselves up for icky merges by making branches for each
release.

--jason