geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Vote: RTC] needed for eclipse plugin
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 04:13:00 GMT

On Jun 2, 2006, at 8:42 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> It seems that there are now +1's from 3 committers for this
>> change. Although I also support the change (once copyrights are
>> corected), I cannot offer a +1. Apologies for being a pedant, but
>> to my knowledge the current RTC "rules" we are living under are:
>>
>>   'I have applied this patch and tested it and found it good'
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that there's only one person who has done this and
>> his name is Sachin. Although it's likely that I could apply the
>> patch and build devtools, I wouldn't know how to integrate and
>> test the change.
>>
>> I think many of us feel that the requirement to apply and test a
>> patch is too restrictive and cumbersome -- especially in smaller
>> subprojects such as devtools and daytrader. Rather than ignoring
>> this directive, let's get the process changed or at least start a
>> discussion... I'll start a thread.
>>
> I will retract my +1, I mistakenly thought that the testing
> requirement was relaxed, but after reviewing the mailing lists I
> didn't see a response to Greg's comments on this topic:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=114850042818334&w=2
>
> Agree that we need to discuss getting the process relaxed
> officially with Ken's approval.

Looks like I have to retract my +1 also.  I merely spent an hour or
so carefully studying sachin's patch, but did not apply it or test
it.  Based on my careful review I think that the patch should be
applied.

I support changing the process to require careful review rather than
applying and testing.

thanks
david jencks