geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [RTC] : Migrate remote-deploy to m2
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:53:26 GMT
I don't think this is quite ready for a vote yet, and I'm not
convinced it requires a vote.

First, it really should include more of a description of what the
purpose of the change is, such as:

"Due to bugs in the web app classloader in 1.0, the remote deploy war
was split into 2 modules.  Since that classloader bug has been
resolved in 1.1 it's time to merge this stuff back into  one module"

Second, when a patch moves a file, it should not be applied as a
patch.  The patch might be OK to look at, but we have to preserve svn
history, so whoever is going to "apply the patch" needs to know the
svn commands that resulted in the patch.  Here we need something like

"Run these svn commands:
svn mv modules/remote-deploy-lib/src/java/......java modules/remote-
deploy/src/java/....
svn rm modules/remote-deploy-lib
"
Other adjustments to make the build work again should be in a patch
that does not include the effects of the svn commands.

Thirdly I don't think this patch fixes the m1 build.... unfortunately
we can't throw it out yet.

The reason I don't think this requires a vote is that it does not
change any java code and is part of the bug fix to the web app
classloading.  However I think since you proposed a vote and we
haven't had much practice voting yet it would be a good idea to go
through the vote process on this small uncontroversial change.

Many thanks
david jencks