geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] blue-sky container
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 07:14:10 GMT
Hi all!

My day-job company is in the process of refactoring our in-house-built
"middleware" into "something better"(tm). That "middleware" is currently
using plain Tomcat as a container and Spring for "component
configuration/wiring", publishing its services over SOAP. Due to
increased requirements (uptime, clustering, monitoring,
ease-of-maintenance, etc), we are looking into a major architecture
redesign.

Functionally, the "middleware" is a /telco-grade/ piece of software that
is used to build services that interface with the (mobile) operator
systems (billing, SMSC, positioning information, etc) and provide a user
interface over a variety of channels (wap, web, SMS, MMS, etc).

As an apache contributor, I would love to use (read: push ;-)) Geronimo
as the base-container for this work. However, I'm not too familiar with
the internals of Geronimo - so I would like to ask you to give me some
feedback about the feasibility of this plan.

I've written up my own blue sky vision/ideas for that future container
(see attachment). It is lacking in details, but I guess you get some
sort of fuzzy feeling about the thing I'm trying to get at :-)

The aim could be summarized as: build a container that would be
  * simple for developer (no EJBs, stick to POJO's as much as possible)
  * simple for deployer/upgrader (container support for configuration
management)
  * simple for Operations&Maintenance people (container support for
monitoring, alarms)
  * easy to cluster (HA and load-balancing, no state in middle tier) in
a reliable way (we have been throwing around the idea of routing all
method calls over JMS)

I know that everything is possible in the world of software development
(given enough time and money :-)) so I would narrow my questions a bit:
  * is this thing a good fit, to be built on top of Geronimo? I guess yes.
  * maybe you can also give some arguments as to why Geronimo is a good
fit for this?
  * and, going one step further, could you give some pointers as to
how/where to start.

And, a final question: would you be interested in at least some of these
features? As far as I can see, most of the stuff outlined in my blue-sky
vision is not really specific to our company/industry, it is applicable
to java development/deployment in general. So, there could be interest
also from the broader community in implementing this beast and our
company might be interested in contributing back the generic parts of
our work.

What do you think? ;-)

Rgds,
Neeme