geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Udovichenko, Nellya" <nellya.udoviche...@intel.com>
Subject New HOWL version in Geronimo
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 10:14:53 GMT
Hello!

Now version of HOWL in Geronimo is 0.1.11. What do you think about its
replacing with new one 1.0.0?

Some problems are fixed in new HOWL version. One of them is of
importance for correct Geronimo startup:

class org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer from howl-logger-0.1.11.jar
throws

org.objectweb.howl.log.InvalidLogBufferException over check-up of log
files availability

using HOWL classes when we start Geronimo by command: java -jar
bin/server.jar.

Because it checks files' validity if they exist. One of verified
parameters is the file content control sum.

One value of this parameter is read from file header and another is
calculated by function java.nio.ByteBuffer.hashCode().

If Geronimo is launched on one JDK at first and then - on another, class
BlockLogBuffer can throw

exception because algorithms of function hashCode() can be different and
values of the checksum don't

equal accordingly.

This is bug in HOWL classes

http://forge.objectweb.org/tracker/?group_id=92&atid=100092&func=detail&
aid=304291
<http://forge.objectweb.org/tracker/?group_id=92&atid=100092&func=detail
&aid=304291>

In new HOWL version 1.0.0 it is fixed by introduction of new boolean
parameter. When the parameter

equals 'false', control sum is calculated using hashCode() function.
Otherwise the calculation is performed

using ADLER-32 algorithm. If the jar with new HOWL version is added to
maven repository and Geronimo

sources are patched by using new parameter the exception won't appear.

This is not a critical bug; however, I think it is better to use HOWL
1.0.0 for correct Geronimo

launching on various JDK.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Nellya Udovichenko,