geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about 1.2 and moving forward
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 19:25:29 GMT

On May 8, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I agree this maybe the best option given the circumstances, but in
> the future we should avoid this mess by reducing branch usage for
> only isolated unstable feature work.... Or get an SCM that can
> handle merging.
>
> It should be possible to have seperate development branches and
> then be able to safly merge them. IMO it is a massive problem with
> Subversion that it can not handle this... :-(

What merge support is missing from svn?  I don't know of any
automated tool that can take 2 disparate lines of development with
incompatible semantics and merge them.

The problem would have been smaller if we had abandoned 1.1 and built
the configid branch off of trunk, but we would still have to actually
look at all the changes between the branches.

thanks
david jencks