geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Remaining 1.1 Issues
Date Mon, 22 May 2006 21:46:34 GMT
We can call them what we want, but I think all the features are
necessary, in particular in order to support plugins.  The advantage
of adding the first two features is that they let us take a lot of
other features *out* of the critical path, and release them as plugins
(also letting us support non-ASL licensed providers).  Basically, the
idea is to replace a properties file with a GBean, since you can't
effectively add to a properties file at plugin installation time, but
you can certainly add GBeans.  Bottom line, it's a small impact change
(console only, change the lookup logic that's already encapsulated in
a helper class to do a GBean interface query instead of a properties
file load), and it has significant benefits (new JMS providers or
security providers can be added at runtime via plugins and do not need
to be hardcoded into the Geronimo distribution).

Thanks,
    Aaron