geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Multiple Server Configurations
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 20:53:49 GMT
All,

David Jencks just backported a feature that lets you create multiple
server configurations inside a single Geronimo installation.  This
affects the contents of the var/ directory, if I understand it right.
So essentially, you could create a structure like this:

geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/var/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/var/...   ("another" configuration)

In other words, you can create subdirectories with their own copies of
var/* and then tell Geronimo during startup to read from foo/var/*
instead of var/* using a command-line parameter.

I'd like to propose one change to this, and that is, that we eliminate
the "var" directory and set it up one of these two ways -- the
difference being whether the default server configuration is named
something like "default" or named "var":

Option 1: default configuration named "var":
geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)

Option 2: default configuration named e.g. "default":
geronimo/default/...   (default configuration)
geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)

It seems somewhat more usable to me if, for example, the log directory
is immediately underneath the server configuration directory.  For
anyone who's not real UNIX-oriented, I think it will be much nicer to
look in the configuration directory and see config/ log/ security/ etc
instead of just seeing "var".

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Aaron