geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1 still dependent on Java 1.4.2?
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 17:08:51 GMT
Geronimo does not "depend" on 1.4.2.  There are two limitations with
regard to 1.5 support, and these apply to both G 1.0 and G 1.1:

 - CORBA support only works on a Sun 1.4.2 JVM
 - XML QName objects cannot be serialized under JDK 1.4.x and
deserialized under JDK 1.5 or vice versa, which possibly means that
web services apps cannot be deployed on 1.4 and then run under 1.5
(e.g. don't switch JVM versions without redeploying such apps).

In Geronimo 1.0, we shipped with the DayTrader sample app which was
deployed on JDK 1.4.2, and was hit by the second issue.  That means
that one sample app got a startup error on JDK 1.5 -- it may *appear*
that Geronimo is blowing up, but if you undeploy DayTrader, then
Geronimo will work fine (excepting CORBA, of course).

By default, CORBA is disabled on both G 1.0 and G 1.1.

The net result is that both Geronimo 1.0 and 1.1 run well under JDK
1.5, but we can't get J2EE certification on 1.5 (due to the CORBA
issue).  G 1.0 has a misleading stack trace during startup on 1.5
(which can be avoided by undeploying DayTrader), and G 1.1 does not
(because DayTrader is not deployed by default).  If you're OK without
CORBA, Geronimo runs fine under 1.5, but for maximum safety,
applications involving web services should probably be redeployed when
switching between JDK 1.4 and 1.5.

On 5/18/06, <> wrote:
> Dear Developers,
> I'm updating the Quick Start guide for Geronimo 1.1
> (
>   Does Geronimo 1.1 "out of the box" still depend on Java 1.4.2?
> Thanks,
> Ian
> It's better to be hated for who you are
> than loved for who you are not
> Ian D. Stewart
> Appl Dev Analyst-Advisory, DCS Automation
> JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
> Phone: (614) 244-2564
> Pager: (888) 260-0078

View raw message