geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 19:27:43 GMT
I thought the point of this thread was to have a discussion?  Please,
let's not have any more votes, let's have a discussion.  Can you
describe your position?

I think it makes perfect sense to move documentation and tutorials to
the Geronimo/Confluence/Apache site.  But my understanding of the
Apache distribution rules is that no code not developed at Apache can
be distributed by the Apache infrastructure.  To be as inclusive as
possible of non-Apache BSD, GPL, and commercial plugins, I think the
primary plugin repository needs to be separate.  We really want to
offer our users the best of all available plugins.

Also note that I'm not taking any position on the location of source
code.  The source and configuration files for any plugins developed by
Apache will continue to be hosted at Apache, and the output of those
builds will continue to be available on Apache infrastructure.
However, the common plugin repository will also need a copy of the
packaged plugin files to make available for installation -- alongside
the packaged plugin files for any non-Apache plugins.

And, of course, we're only discussing plugins -- third-party add-ons
to Geronimo.  I'm not suggesting any changes to the core Geronimo
features or distribution model.

Thanks,
    Aaron