geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Server Configurations
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 00:21:45 GMT

On May 18, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> All,
>
> David Jencks just backported a feature that lets you create multiple
> server configurations inside a single Geronimo installation.  This
> affects the contents of the var/ directory, if I understand it right.
> So essentially, you could create a structure like this:
>
> geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
> geronimo/server1/var/...   ("server1" configuration)
> geronimo/another/var/...   ("another" configuration)
>
> In other words, you can create subdirectories with their own copies of
> var/* and then tell Geronimo during startup to read from foo/var/*
> instead of var/* using a command-line parameter.
>
> I'd like to propose one change to this, and that is, that we eliminate
> the "var" directory and set it up one of these two ways -- the
> difference being whether the default server configuration is named
> something like "default" or named "var":
>
> Option 1: default configuration named "var":
> geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
> geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
> geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)
>
> Option 2: default configuration named e.g. "default":
> geronimo/default/...   (default configuration)
> geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)
> geronimo/another/...   ("another" configuration)
>
> It seems somewhat more usable to me if, for example, the log directory
> is immediately underneath the server configuration directory.  For
> anyone who's not real UNIX-oriented, I think it will be much nicer to
> look in the configuration directory and see config/ log/ security/ etc
> instead of just seeing "var".
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Any location specified in a module other than the bootstrap module
(typically j2ee-system) can be modified in that server's config.xml.
If you want to modify the location of anything specified in the
bootstrap module you will either need to modify it globally or
provide a system property to override it.

Personally I kind of like the var, but I don't really care.  I think
its a bikeshed and would prefer not to introduce more system properties.

thanks
david jencks