geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: packaging plugin
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 15:12:17 GMT

On May 11, 2006, at 7:39 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> David J,
>     If I run maven car:package on a non executable configuration, I
> get
> the following message -
> 3578 [main] DEBUG org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState
> - GBeanInstanceState for: ge
> ronimo/geronimo-gbean-deployer/1.1-SNAPSHOT/car?
> ServiceModule=geronimo/geronimo-gbean-deployer/1.1-S
> NAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=Deployer,name=Deployer State changed from stopped
> to starting
> Generated package
> D:\anita\geronimo\geronimo-1.1\configs\j2ee-server\target\j2ee-
> server-1.1-SNAPSHOT
> .car
> Total time: 12 seconds
> Finished at: Thu May 11 08:28:35 EDT 2006
>     But the generated car (zip file) is not at this location. The
> directory is at target/repository/.... . Where is the zip
> file being generated? It is put in .maven during car:install by
> copyConfig. If a zip file is always generated, Why could we not use
> artifact:install?

-- it looks to me as if the message is wrong.  I don't know how hard
it will be to fix it: I suspect changing it to not specify a location
at all is the best approach.

-- packaging a configuration can result in multiple car files (e.g.
for app clients).  Also the configurations are generated into a m2
repository that has a somewhat tenuous relationship to the m1 repo
maven uses.  I couldn't see a good way to get all the artifacts
copied with artifact:install, whereas setting up a m2 repository and
scanning it and copying everything in it seemed fairly straightforward.

david jencks