geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Apache Maven Repo Issue for 1.1 release
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 18:15:47 GMT
I think it would be in our best interest for the long term using
Maven to host our own repository, which is backed up by svn.

By default the projects will point to the http:// base of our
repository (say http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository/
m2 or http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository/m1).

This will do the normal dependency download, and will work for most
folks out of the box.

But, users can also check out the repository to a local directory,
add a bit of settings.xml to add a local repository and then run
offline.

I believe going forward we *must* do something about the dependency
on remote sites that affect our build process.  IMO the remoteness
that Maven brings is a blessing and a curse.  To have 100% reliable
and repeatable builds we need to isolate (and really remove) the
remoteness.

--jason

On May 24, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> [...]
>> into
>> Subversion, but I'm afraid this would gather a lot of cruft, so we'd
>> have to aggressively prune anything in there that was no longer
>> needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>    Aaron
>>
>> On 5/24/06, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Some of you may have noticed 1.1 build errors last week which were
>>> caused by the relocation of the Apache maven repo from
>>> 'cvs.apache.org/repository' to 'people.apache.org/repository'. It's
>>> my understanding from asfinfra that the maven repo will be moved to
>>> yet another location... And also that asfinfra does not feel that an
>>> apache maven repo will ever be allocated a permanent location.
>>>
>>> This repo move broke our 1.1 builds. And, FYI, also either broke or
>>> severly hampers builds of our 1.0 src distribution. Given current
>>> course and speed, a move from people.apache.org will break the 1.1
>>> src distribution.
>>>
>>> FYI, an attempt to run an online build of tags/1.0.0 will result in
>>> multiple messages of the following form:
>>>
>>>      Attempting to download geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar.
>>>      Error getting URI host
>>>      org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Redirect from host
>>> cvs.apache.org to people.apache.org is not supported
>>>             at
>>> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.checkValidRedirect
>>> (HttpMethodBase.java:1237)
>>>             at
>>> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRedirectResponse
>>> (HttpMethodBase.java:1185)
>>>             at
>>> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.isRetryNeeded
>>> (HttpMethodBase.java:967)
>>>             at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
>>> (HttpMethodBase.java:1089)
>>>             at
>>> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
>>> (HttpClient.java:643)
>>>             at
>>> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
>>> (HttpClient.java:497)
>>>             at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.HttpWagon.get
>>> (HttpWagon.java:287)
>>>      Invalid Redirect URI from: http://cvs.apache.org:80/
>>> repository//
>>> org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar
>>> to:  http://people.apache.org/repository//org.apache.geronimo.specs/
>>> jars/geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar
>>>
>>> IIUC, maven purposely does not support http redirects. I'm not
>>> familiar with the reasons for this. I'm not aware of any work-
>>> around/
>>> configuration option for changing this behavior.
>>>
>>> I'm no expert in any of these maven/repo hosting matters. However, I
>>> have the following suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1) Add a comment to our download site that the 1.0 distribution
>>> requires a modification to etc/project.properties
>>> 2) Plan on removing the people.apache.org/repository from our
>>> project.properties file when the 1.1 release is tagged.