geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache Maven Repo Issue for 1.1 release
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 08:05:40 GMT
Some of you may have noticed 1.1 build errors last week which were
caused by the relocation of the Apache maven repo from
'cvs.apache.org/repository' to 'people.apache.org/repository'. It's
my understanding from asfinfra that the maven repo will be moved to
yet another location... And also that asfinfra does not feel that an
apache maven repo will ever be allocated a permanent location.

This repo move broke our 1.1 builds. And, FYI, also either broke or
severly hampers builds of our 1.0 src distribution. Given current
course and speed, a move from people.apache.org will break the 1.1
src distribution.

FYI, an attempt to run an online build of tags/1.0.0 will result in
multiple messages of the following form:

     Attempting to download geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar.
     Error getting URI host
     org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpException: Redirect from host
cvs.apache.org to people.apache.org is not supported
    	    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.checkValidRedirect
(HttpMethodBase.java:1237)
	    at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRedirectResponse
(HttpMethodBase.java:1185)
	    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.isRetryNeeded
(HttpMethodBase.java:967)
	    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
(HttpMethodBase.java:1089)
	    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
(HttpClient.java:643)
	    at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
(HttpClient.java:497)
	    at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.HttpWagon.get
(HttpWagon.java:287)
     Invalid Redirect URI from: http://cvs.apache.org:80/repository//
org.apache.geronimo.specs/jars/geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar
to:  http://people.apache.org/repository//org.apache.geronimo.specs/
jars/geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0.jar

IIUC, maven purposely does not support http redirects. I'm not
familiar with the reasons for this. I'm not aware of any work-around/
configuration option for changing this behavior.

I'm no expert in any of these maven/repo hosting matters. However, I
have the following suggestions:

1) Add a comment to our download site that the 1.0 distribution
requires a modification to etc/project.properties
2) Plan on removing the people.apache.org/repository from our
project.properties file when the 1.1 release is tagged.
3) Review the "permanence" of the other repo sites (codehaus,
mortbay, ibiblio) currently referenced by etc/project.properties.
4) Prepare a pre-packaged 1.1 maven repo which could be downloaded to
allow users to acquire all the necessary dependencies needed to build
1.1. This means a geronimo src build could be completely independent
of any web resource.

Comments/suggestions welcome...

--kevan