geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Change to commit model for Apache Geronimo
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 21:09:58 GMT
I agree that it would be nice to get more committers looking and working on DayTrader as well
as
DevTools.  DayTrader we have been getting additional activity so we are moving in the right

direction.  Since its a performance/benchmark sample its very different than the server and
has a
different constituency.  So, yes, its a problem however interest is growing so the problem
is become
less of an issue.

Greg Stein wrote:
> A shot from the peanut gallery... :-)
>
> Doesn't that seem like a problem? That maybe there should be more people
> involved? That it shouldn't be "I'm off in my corner working on this
> stuff. With nobody else. I dunno how to get my +1 votes."
>
> IMO, part of Geronimo's issue is growing the community of developers, and
> especially the group of committers. You'll solve your problem if you can
> get more people working with you. And I think you'll solve many of
> Geronimo's issues at the same time.
>
> IMO #2, I disagree with Ken's "patched in and tested" ... there are many
> changes that I've reviewed which I can give a +1 on just from eyeballing
> it. Or provide feedback on what needs to change. IOW, I don't always need
> a computer to tell me what it does. So I think it may be important to
> request that Ken officially relaxes that requirement a bit :-)

I think the above was the most significant concern I had since the current lack of active

participation (actually, folks really like the app as it uncovers broken pieces in the server
that
need to be fixed) I was concerned that getting people to install, test and validate was going
to be
difficult.  If people can use their eyes thats fien.  Right now its changing colors and packaging.

IMHO DevTools is different in that few committers are running Eclipse and working in that
area so
getting meaningful feedback will be difficult.  I guess time will tell but I'd hate to see
Sachin
get slowed down.