geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Apache Maven Repo Issue for 1.1 release
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 19:29:27 GMT
It sounds like there are really two issues IIUC.  The first is that normal development is impeded

because the sites mirroring Maven content are dynamic and because of circumstances beyond
anyone's
control give sporadic results.  The second is the ability for a user to rebuild Geronimo n.n
after
we ship it because of problem number 1.  Let me provide some input on these problems in reverse
order.

Regarding rebuilding shipped version of Geronimo I think having a saved copy of the repo used
build Geronimo makes sense.  For 1.0 I still have that repo on stan.gbuild.org.  Here is the
size of
the repo:

-rw-r--r--   1 hogstrom users 428521800 Dec 21 21:24 geronimo-1.0-maven-repo.tar.gz

428 MB doesn't seem too bad but is still a big chunk to download.  We should make this available
but
if we get on the train for multiple point releases this may add up pretty quickly.  I'm not
an Infra
person so I don't know if that's  a number they would have concern about.

Back to the first problem.  I have a system that I use that rsyncs to the servers named in

maven.remote property about 3 times a day.  It works pretty good for me since my builds are
at
highly available LAN speeds.  I think this would be the right solution for us as a team.
At some
point the instability will cause more and more people to do exactly what were discussing which
may
end up being at least part of the problem (doesn't solve the dynamic nature of the problem
though).
  Would it make sense to use the same rsync commands I'm using for my internal repo and have
one of
the GBuild machines host this function?  We have control of them and it is consistent with
the way
we're building and doing continuous builds anyway.  Or can we simply put an HTTP server up
and point
to the maven repo used for GBuild anyway?

Matt