geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Multiple Server Configurations
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 13:57:03 GMT
I agree with your comments on the addition of the X so please go ahead and make the changes
you
indicated below.  Let's experiment with this and get it working well.  User feedback would
be good
for this as well.

John Sisson wrote:
> I was planning on fixing the geronimo.bat and geronimo.sh scripts (as
> part of GERONIMO-1638) to remove the GERONIMO_BASE environment variable
> (that is no longer valid and AFAIK never worked properly) and add
> GERONIMO_SERVER_NAME and GERONIMO_SERVER_DIR environment variables to be
> in sync with the changes.
>
> If we feel that this area is subject to change (since you indicated it
> is in the 1.1 code to play with) then maybe the following should be done:
> * Remove the GERONIMO_BASE from the startup scripts to avoid confusion
> * Rename the newly introduced system properties to have have an "X"
> prefix to indicate they are experimental (following what Dain has done
> for other experimental properties), specifically rename:
>
> org.apache.geronimo.server.dir ---> Xorg.apache.geronimo.server.dir
> org.apache.geronimo.server.name ---> Xorg.apache.geronimo.server.name
>
> I also agree with Aaron's comment "I think it will be much nicer to look
> in the configuration directory and see config/ log/ security/ etc
> instead of just seeing "var"".
>
> Comments?
>
> John
>
> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> I'm fine for leaving the code in 1.1 to play with but I'm -1 in
>> promoting it in 1.1.  This should be a 1.2 item.  One of the reasons
>> we end up making disruptive changes later in the release is we don't
>> have time to think this through and we'll be unhappy with the answer
>> and end up tweaking it next time.
>>
>> That said, for 1.2 this is really needed as clustering will probably
>> take shape.  I'd prefer to start the discussion now and finish it in
>> 1.2.  Here's my 2c.
>>
>> geronimo/servers/default
>> geronimo/servers/foo
>> geronimo/servers/server1
>> geronimo/servers/server2
>>
>> A major grouping off of Geronimo makes sense so we can group servers
>> together.  It would make sense to me to leave geronimo/var as the
>> legacy, single server and the above as the clustered convention.
>>
>> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> David Jencks just backported a feature that lets you create multiple
>>> server configurations inside a single Geronimo installation.  This
>>> affects the contents of the var/ directory, if I understand it right.
>>> So essentially, you could create a structure like this:
>>>
>>> geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
>>> geronimo/server1/var/...   ("server1" configuration)
>>> geronimo/another/var/...   ("another" configuration)
>>>
>>> In other words, you can create subdirectories with their own copies of
>>> var/* and then tell Geronimo during startup to read from foo/var/*
>>> instead of var/* using a command-line parameter.
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose one change to this, and that is, that we eliminate
>>> the "var" directory and set it up one of these two ways -- the
>>> difference being whether the default server configuration is named
>>> something like "default" or named "var":
>>>
>>> Option 1: default configuration named "var":
>>> geronimo/var/...   (default configuration)
>>> geronimo/server1/...   ("server1" configuration)