geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Artifact patch system [was Re: replacing tomcat classes]
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 01:34:24 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I think that technically this is a very easy problem to solve.  The
> difficult problem will be our recommendation to users on how to use
> the feature.
>
> Technical
> ---------
> I think the best way to implement this is to add another method
> getPatches(Artifact artifact) the Repository interface (this is
> analogous to the getDependecies method which appends to the class
> path).  Then we just modify the class loader building code in
> Configuration to put the patch jars before the artifact in the classpath.
>
> One thing to note, this proposed patch system will only address class
> web application, they will need to modify the web application
> directly.  This is particularly tricky since the load order of jars in
> WEB-INF/lib is not specified and updating it requires a full redeploy
> (not a restart as most would expect).  Additionally, this system would
> not address patching resources inside of a war.  For that, the user
> would have to overwrite the files in the unpacked deployment.
>
> The only tricky part of implementing this system will be deciding how
> we want to associate patches with artifacts.  A single flat directory
> is easiest for users, but it difficult to avoid name collisions.  It
> would be very easy for us to have some sort of foo-1.1-23456.patch
> files in the normal repository structure, but that requires an
> administrator to know where to put files which is error prone. I'm
> personally leaning toward the single patch directory simply because it
> will make it easier for admins to see which patches the server has
> installed.

Instead of having a single flat directory, would it be possible to have
a file that maps an existing artifact to a patched artifact in the
repository so that the patched artifact can be manipulated using
standard maven tools.  See link below to Maven proposal on artifact
naming for patches etc.

If a user wants to see what patched files are currently in use they can
just look at this file.

If a patch needs to be sent to a user manually, it could be sent to them
in a tar/zip file that contains the appropriate directories under the
repository directory that can be extracted to the repository directory.

This would allow a number of different versions of the patch to be in
the repository and the user can easily switch between patch versions or
back-out the patch to a previous version that worked more reliably (in
case a number of patch iterations were produced in an attempt to resolve
a problem).

> Finally, this system will impact any tool that is using the
> repository.  I'm specifically thinking of the plugin packaging and
> download code which will have to be modified to grab the patches.  I
> also suspect it will effect the eclipse tooling also.
>
> Recomendations
> --------------
> I agree with David that it is a bad idea to replace only a few classes
> in a jar.  The process is inherently error prone, and only provides a
> very risky stop gap measure.  I also agree with Matt that it is
> important be able to patch just a few classes in an emergency, and as
> soon as the emergency is over, work should start to roll the changes
> into a full jar update.
>
> I think we should recommend that our users don't use the patch feature
> unless there is an emergency.  Further, I don't think this project
> should ever ship class level patches, since it is so easy for us to
> ship a whole jar.
>
> BTW, does anyone know if maven has a patch system in the pipeline?

I'm not aware of a patch system as such, but have seen this proposal on
artifact naming for patches/service packs etc. Not sure what the status
of this proposal is:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Extending+Maven+2.0+Dependencies

Regards,

John
> -dain
>
> On May 11, 2006, at 9:44 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>

>>> Bumping up the version should work for the jar approach.  However, I
>>> was still trying to figure out a way to honor the tomcat
>>> recommendation of replacing just the modified classes.  Is there
>>> some way to make the version independent classloaders pick up
>>> individual classes rather than entire jars?
>>
>> No, and I think that's a good thing.  I think the tomcat team is
>> giving bad advice.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

>>> Joe