geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: replacing tomcat classes
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 17:12:58 GMT

Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On May 11, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for the quick response Jeff.
>>>
>>> I like the idea of a "system patch" location in the classpath where
>>> we can pick up patches for anything we might include in a geronimo
>>> assembly.
>>
>> I think this "system patch" idea will only work in environments with
>> only one classloader, i.e. not geronimo.  The problem is that the
>> patched classes need to get into the correct classloader, "before" the
>> normal versions.   We'd need a patch directory for each module.  I
>> also think any solution that relies on the order of stuff in a
>> classpath is inherently unstable and unreliable.
>
> I agree that it would be very unwieldy.  For some folks providing
> support for Geronimo it might be nice for the classloaders to look in an
> aside dir (./patches) for a jar with the artifact name with a
> -pyyyymmddss suffix so patches can be applied.  The ss allows for the
> sequencing to be addressed.  This would make it easier to provide one
> hit patches that can get rolled up into the released jar you describe
> below and the user would not have to wait for a release to come out
> which could be a few months.

Matt, you hit the nail on the head.  I really think a simple patching
system...call it..."quick hit" ;-) could have some big beneficial uses.
 I have many times run into this situation where I needed to be able to
do this.  Only through altering the CLASSPATH or changing the jar was I
able to get around the problem.   I always wanted a way to drop in a jar
w/o having to alter core services that allowed me to patch what I
needed. There are many use cases for this, with the biggest being a
possible way for us to release "service paks" w/o the need to download
and fully reconfigure a new server.

I only see this feature as an added extension to make thing easier for
development/support/and heavily configured prod servers.

Jeff