geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: replacing tomcat classes
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 15:29:00 GMT

Thanks for the quick response Jeff.

I like the idea of a "system patch" location in the classpath where we
can pick up patches for anything we might include in a geronimo  assembly.

I too was confused by the tomcat recommendation but it does seem that
they have a strategy for addressing necessary changes with minimal
interference in tomcat.  I have also noticed some things that make me
wonder if my local tomcat build of 5.5.15 really does match the official
5.5.15 build.  For example, the only source for 5.5.15 that I could find
was a zip file rather than a svn branch or tag.  I am not able to build
from the unpacked zip without making a change to move the contents of
jasper/jasper2 into the jasper directory itself.  And the version that
is displayed when I hit tomcat with my rebuilt image is 5.5 rather than
5.5.15 as with the official image.

Until we figure out the correct approach for Geronimo I'm thinking of
using a compromise solution.   The changes I need in tomcat result in 4
of the 13 tomcat jars getting rebuilt.   Rather than replacing all of
the tomcat jars with my local build I have verified that replacing just
the 4 changed jars appears to work fine.  I'm hoping this hybrid
solution keeps most of the official tomcat image and our local changes.
   I haven't noticed any problems.   Assuming the source is mostly
identical (apart from our changes) does anybody know of a reason that I
should definitely not take this approach?

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net