geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: replacing tomcat classes
Date Thu, 11 May 2006 15:00:54 GMT
Ultimately, we probably would need to somehow build a "patch" directory
or lib directory where we can ensure the URLClassLoader picks that up
before all other classes.  I think this is probably a good idea to have
as well, so that we could release "service paks" or patches.  I would be
interested in others' thoughts on this, but I think this would be a nice
feature to have.

Right now I think your only choices are to either hard set a classpath
to be sure the patches get picked up first or build a hacked Tomcat
version, or rebuild Tomcat.  Dain or David Jencks may be able to verify
if the classpath solution would work or not as I have not dug into the
new G classloaders to know if this would even be possible.

The best solution right now may be to just build TC. I am a little
confused as to why the TC guys say not to build the Tomcat from source
(after its hacked).  It seems like just an ant build script, so I don't
understand why this is being discouraged.  This way you can replace the
Tomcat jars in the repo and you are good to go.

Jeff