geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 16:21:29 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I have to disagree with putting up an ASF option as the default.
>
> Let's say there are 50 plugins produced by Apache and 70 by outsiders.
>
> We have a choice to make the default a repository containing 50
> entries, or a repository containing 120 entries.  What makes sense?
>
> To me, this is a no-brainer, you make the default the one that offers
> the best selection to the user.
>
> If you're worried about site maintenance, as I've said repeatedly,
> we're more than happy to provide accounts to Geronimo committers who
> want to help out.  We could also move much of the site content to an
> Apache SVN repo if you like, leaving the non-free content such as
> images as URLs that will need to be resolved by the browser.
>
> There was a proposal on IRC to set up a separate non-profit
> organization to manage the plugin site, and I think we'd be happy to
> ultimately transition the site to such an organization.  Another
> recommendation was to allow the list of available plugin sites to be
> updated on demand (e.g. not only updated by new Geronimo releases),
> which is also fine.

Aaron, all the decisions should be made on the dev list, specially if the discussion was over
IRC,
you know that. We should be discussing about the plugins before implementing them, not after.

Based on the previous paragraph are you also proposing the creation of a "separate organization",

did I get that right ????  Isn't the project "Apache" Geronimo??? why would we strip it to
the bone
and have all the functionality available elsewhere?

I do not believe the next paragraph is a long enough explanation/justification. I think a
deeper
analysis should be made about the pros and cons.

> Finally, remember, this is not a proposal to host the Geronimo core
> offsite, or to replace the Apache repository as the authoritative site
> for downloads of Apache components.  This is a method to make the
> widest possible selection of third-party / after-market components
> available to Geronimo users.

Again, I think we need to discuss further the whole approach and the implications. Can anybody

provide details (user/developer guide documentation level) about the architecture and design.
We
desperately need those details added to the product documentation, what we have today is far
from
enough. I can't write everything by myself, so please help with the documentation (that applies
all the topics)

Cheers!
Hernan