geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 14:07:29 GMT
I agree that in principle its different with the following exceptions.

* IBiblio is maintained by a staff of engineers at Chapel Hill.  I believe their availability

requirements and staffing are an order of magnitude above what is currently available for
the
Geronimo Plugins Site.

* We do not point to IBiblio for a running server, we use it to build the server.  I think
there is
a different constituency of people that would be depending on availability.

* IBiblio is a mirror of other content sites so if it is down there are other places to get
the
information contained on their site.

Again, I'm in favor of the plugin concept and Aaron has brought it to life.  I also think
the
www.geronimoplugins.com is a great way to distribute a variety of material that is non-ASF
licensed.
  However, from a project perspective I think we should make the default
http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins and have the www.geronimoplugins.com as an alternate site
in the
dropdown list along with any other sites that people choose to put up.

I do not think we should make the geronimoplugins site the default and we need an ASF option
as the
default.

Matt