geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please try out the upgrade jar
Date Fri, 19 May 2006 20:51:19 GMT
> Also, I think you (or someone) mentioned earlier that it might be
> useful to make this utility available from the admin console.  Seems
> like one reasonable approach would be to enable the current
> application deployment portlet to detect when a backlevel plan is
> provided (assuming that's always possible) and invoke your utility to
> provide a head start on creating a new plan.  If there's consensus
> around that idea then I can help with the UI.

I attached a patch to GERONIMO-2006 that implements this idea.  When a
deployment fails the console looks for a configId attribute in the
plan and if found provides the user with a new plan generated by the
upgrader. They can edit the upgraded plan in place and save it
locally. In some cases (welcome app, jmx-debug, and others) the
upgraded plan needs no further editing so the user can save the plan
and then immediately deploy again from the same portlet.  In some
cases (daytrader) manual editing is required but the upgraded plan at
least provides a starting place.

Best wishes,
Paul