geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about www.geronimoplugins.com site
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 19:07:43 GMT
I think Geir is really onto something here.  I spent a couple of years
working on a project whose goal was to facilitate software reuse
across the scientific computing community, which often uses a
development model similar to open source.  Our initial approach was to
create a monolithic repository for all the software files and this led
to a number of problems, everything from issues with intellectual
property rights to debates on look and feel (sound familiar?).  The
more successful approach was to create a customizable data model for
the software metadata and to harvest the entire collection of metadata
into a centralized repository that contained pointers to the files
hosted elsewhere.  Here's the project url with papers 'n stuff in case
anyone is interested in reading further http://icl.cs.utk.edu/rib/

Best wishes,
Paul