geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Where should M2 conversion be done? or Should/Will the trunk be abandoned completely?
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 09:29:12 GMT
On 5/12/06, Prasad Kashyap <goyathlay.geronimo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any major pros and cons of  moving to 1.1 as opposed to
> moving to the new trunk ? I don't see any. At present, I think we
> could wait till after we ship 1.1 and create this new trunk. But if
> somebody sees any some advantages, I'd appreciate their insight.

Well, I've been thinking about it for a while and he's my take on it.
It's a bunch of loosy-coupled views of mine on it so please bear with
me gently ;)

It's about how many people can work for Geronimo. Most of us are
working in their free time and it's clearly visible that the team who
really contributes a code is too small. It's way too small comparing
to the features we're about to implement. The word about Geronimo
needs to flow and it requires more people involved who could speak
about it, i.e. understand it. I see 1.1 as a big change and it could
well be named 2.0 to put it straight to our users. Lots of changes are
on their way, which is also clearly visible in merging 1.1 and the
trunk and it s pain to implement.

So, my point to move on with the m2 migration/conversion is about
engaging more people in much simpler tasks around Geronimo that could
help them to get started and contribute. The M2 conversion touches
Geronimo in many areas so it's one way to engage future contributors.
Some people want to code rather then perform tests, which is the
moment we're in with 1.1 (well, not exactly, but that *might* not be a
right moment to jump in and expect help when everybody is so focused
to push 1.1 out the door).

On the other hand, I wonder how many people are around lurking and
scratching their head where to contribute their time and who would
benefit with the m2 conversion as an entry point. Remember that at one
point there were 4 people working on the conversion and only one of
them was a committer.  It's one way to become a Geronimo committer and
once you are contributing to Geronimo it will become easier even more.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski