geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Maxim Berkultsev" <maxim.berkult...@gmail.com>
Subject Geronimo peak performance
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:19:20 GMT
Hi, all!

Geronimo peak performance is under test and let me share some results.

I was using JMeter and Daytrader web primitives to measure throughput
for a fixed number of simultaneously woking virtual users.

However I've realized that the results for the equal numbers of users
in each scenario do not look valuable and tried to find some peak
values for throughput depending on the number of users. It looks as if
such peak values are reached when the number of users are minimal as
well as the peak exists at some 'optimal' number of users.

I've used two scenarios.

Example 1: For scenario PingServlet2SessionEJB from Daytrader web
primitives I've got max througput (~14670) for a minimal number of
users - 5 with average time per single request equals to 17. The table
below contains triples (number of users, average request time,
throughput) for different number of users.

----------------
----------------
----------------
----------------
100 447 11028
----------------
150 588 10770
----------------
200 634 10444
----------------

It looks as if the peak is reached when a number of users is minimal.

Example 2: In scenario PingServlet2TwoPhase the throughput grows to
some saturation value and then begins to decrease. The maximal values
(~1300-1350) for throughput covers a wide interval between >10 and 150
virtual users. Here are the triples' table (number of users, average
request time, throughput):

----------------
5, 390, 764
----------------
10, 492, 1207
----------------
50, 2250, 1314
----------------
100, 4380, 1356
----------------
150, 6580, 1350
----------------
200, 9050, 1260

All values do not pretend to a significant:) accuracy but to some general trend.

Somehow usually there is some 'common sense' number of users to be
used in performance estimations. Can someone provide an idea how to
find this value for Geronimo?

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Berkultsev, Intel Middleware Products Division