geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Prasad Kashyap" <goyathlay.geron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update on Long Paths
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:47:56 GMT
I could not use the ant task to precompile jsps. Using the following,
simply  nothing happens.

<ant:taskdef classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC" name="ant:jasper2"
 classpathref="jspc.classpath"/>
<ant:jasper2 validateXml="false" uriroot="${webroot}"
webXmlFragment="${webroot}/generated_web.xml" addWebXmlMappings="true"
outputDir="${outDir}" />

So by passing a few more args to our existing <ant:java > execution, I
was able to generate the xml file too. Using the option
addWebXmlMappings, I tried to merge the web.xmls but JspC cried that
it was a unrecognized option.

     <!-- arg value="-addWebXmlMappings"/>
     <arg value="true"/  -->

Looking at the JspC code,
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/jasper/branches/tc5.0.x/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/JspC.java
it seems like you can't pass addWebXmlMappings in a java command line
argument. It is not recognized or set by the setArgs(). Seems like a
jasper bug ?

So I added another goal to our deployment plugin called "mergeWebXML".
This goal merges the generated web.xml fragment with the existing one
from source.

When I spoke to the Tomcat guys, they feel that precompiling JSPs
doesn't buy us anything anymore, except for that first time hit. The
request mapper is supposedly fixed in 5.5.x versions and thus we
shouldn't see any other performance hit.

Anyways, I have uploaded the patch to

Cheers
Prasad