geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject 1.1 problem with collection valued references
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 07:23:36 GMT
There seems to be a problem with collection valued references in
1.1.  Normally we want a collection valued reference to determine its
members based on the target gbeans implementing an interface.  This
works great for single valued references but currently there is no
way to specify an interface that is actually used for a collection
valued reference.  I was under the impression that the interface
declared in GBeanInfo was used for this purpose but this is not
currently the case.  There is also no way to specify an interface in
the xml for a plan.

As I see it, the desired interface is not something a user should be
able to change, and it should be supplied in the gbean metadata,
currently GBeanInfo.  I think requiring a user to specify the target
interface in a plan is an undue burden.  However, if metadata is the
only source this would make it difficult to, in the future, deploy
services with collection valued references that lack metadata entirely.

I think the best solution might be to use metadata if present (from
GBeanInfo, annotations, or java 1.5 generics) and allow specifying
the interface in the plan as well for when metadata is lacking.

Comments?

I believe this is currently causing a problem with the
JettyModuleBuilder and default servlets: the default servlet gbeans
implement org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyDefaultServletHolder rather
than org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyServletHolder but since there is
no way to specify the desired target interface all servlets end up
getting treated as default servlets, causing severe problems when hot
deploying a web app.

thanks
david jencks