geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: We may need to rethink unversioned dependencies among server plans...
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:36:23 GMT

On Apr 19, 2006, at 6:27 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> So I'm having a build problem.
>
> The root cause appears to be that my local Maven repo has both
> 1.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.2-SNAPSHOT artifacts.  One of the server artifacts
> (say, j2ee-system) has a dependency on another (say, rmi-naming), and
> that dependency has no version.
>
> So when the packaging plugin packages j2ee-system, it asks the
> repository for a matching rmi-naming, and gets rmi-naming/1.2-SNAPSHOT
> instead of rmi-naming/1.1-SNAPSHOT
>
> I'm not sure what we can do about this.  I'll think about it a bit.

hmm, this appears to be working ok on my machine, maybe I don't have
enough 1.2 artifacts on it.

The way it's supposed to work is that the artifact resolver has a map
of explicit versions to use for unversioned artifacts.  This is
currently etc/explicit_versions.properties for the packaging and
assembly plugins.  You can have entries of the form groupid/
artifactid//type=version or groupid///=version; the former are
checked first.

Since on my machine nothing was working when this file was missing/
incorrect, and adding entries (such as for xmlparserapis) has fixed
problems, I'm inclined to think it's working properly.  I did forget
to bump the version number on the plugins, perhaps your problems are
from an out of date plugin???

thanks
david jencks