geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Long Path Proposal
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:51:10 GMT
On Apr 11, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Unpacked archives in the repository:
>>
>> The solution is to not place unpacked archives in our repository.
>> I (dain) am going to look at using a class loader that can read
>> from classes and resources from jars nested in jars.  Assuming we
>> can find or write a class loader such a class loader, we will need
>> to assure that Tomcat and Jetty can work from a packed archive.
>
> Well, after two days of hacking, I have a class loader that
> supports nested jars.  The bad news is the console doesn't run
> anymore.  It appears that pluto will only run if the application is
> not packed (or not packed in a packed jar).  Anyway, my guess is
> that lots of applications will break if the war files are not
> available unpacked on the file system.  The second big problem I am
> seeing is my new class loader triples the startup time.
> Surprisingly, my tests show that the slow startup is not due to
> unpacking nested jars, but is over all slowness in the class
> loader.  My guess is that the URLClassLoader has some native code
> and that the emory class loader I am using isn't doing as much
> indexing as the URLClassLoader.  So I think it is time I abandon my
> class loader work (to the sandbox) and we start working on a Plan B:
>
> Plan B:
>
> o Leave the applications unpacked in the repository.
>
> o We should at least warn users when they deploy an application
> containing long paths (200+ characters from geronimo home dir) and
> maybe offer to jar the WEB-INF/classes if it will fix the problem.
>
> o Shorten the geronimo application path by packing the WEB-INF/classes
>
> o Implement inplace deployment so users can place their application
> wherever they want on the file system.
>

> Comments?

Sounds good to me.  I think detecting the problem and clearly and
loudly warning the user of it is a very nice consideration to the
user -- will save them time.  If we automatically packed their
classes and notified the user of that as an additional clear and loud
warning message, I think that would be a feature that sets us apart
from others.

-David