geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: m2 conversion : configurations
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:54:55 GMT

On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:00 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> David,
>      Thanks! More comments inline..
>
> --- David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 19, 2006, at 6:51 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>>
>>>     Thanks. What criteria has been used to set the
>> geronimo.dependency
>>> property in project.xml? The packaging of most configurations
>> assumes
>>> the packaged configuration will be loaded on top of j2ee-system
>>> configuration. But the 'applications' configurations implicitly
>> assume
>>> that a full server, i.e jetty/tomcat is running. Is this correct?
>>
>> yes.
>>> If
>>> yes, Should we add these configurations (specified by
>>> deploymnetConfig)
>>> to the plans for documentation?
>> no
>>> Is this information stored in
>>> config.ser and the deployer makes sure that these are already
>> loaded?
>> yes.   The secret is in the defaultEnvironment attributes of the
>> various builders, which add the necessary parents for each type of
>> j2ee artifact.  For instance the jetty builder adds jetty, connector
>>
>> builder adds connector, etc etc.
>     Ideally , if a user wanted to package a car for a simple
> application like jsp-examples, he/she should not be required to know
> all about the internal configuraitons? The user should be able to
> include a single car as a dependency in pom.xml/project.xml for
> standard servers like j2ee-*-server, web-jms-tomcat-server(?) etc.

For simple apps the user should not have to include any explicit
dependencies/imports at all: the deployers should figure out what is
needed and add it for them.  This is what the defaultEnvironment/
defaultParentId is for, and as far as I know it works well.  Do you
know of any problems with this?  One minor problem I haven't had time
to fix is that the axis/ws dependencies are added to all web and ejb
apps whether or not they are needed: they should be added by the web
services builder, but there is currently no way to do this.

thanks
david jencks

> Thanks
> Anita
>
>  You can suppress these defaults in
>>
>> case you have special requirements by using the
>> suppressDefaultEnvironment element in environment.
>>
>> In 1.0/1.2 this is not as well developed or consistent as in 1.1: the
>>
>> builders have attributes defaultParentId.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Anita

>> server,

>>>      The naming is slightly confusing. The server.jar contains
>>> j2ee-system configuraion and not j2ee-server.

>> any

a new