geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Implementing Global JNDI
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:22:15 GMT
I'm not convinced this discussion has got to the hard parts yet :-)
I hope there turn out not to be any :-)

Please don't change stuff in the read-only java:comp/env context
since it is pretty much completely specified by the spec.  Note also
that according to the spec a j2ee compliant app will only use this
jndi context, and only use the entries defined in the j2ee deployment
descriptors.

I think you can use a lot of the jndi infrastructure we already have
including the geronimo context and the references to jca connection
factories, ejbs, etc.

The missing part is how to get these references bound into your
context.  One approach is to write gbeans that install a reference
when started and remove it when stopped.  I would start by just
including these as plain gbeans in plans, and once that works
consider modifying the builders to add them automatically based on
xml in the geronimo plans.

An alternative might be to investigating using say Directory to
persist the references directly.  I don't know enough about ldap to
know if this makes any sense at all.

thanks
david jencks