geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 Status and Questions
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:40:32 GMT
I have been thinking about this.  I am very concerned that if we
merge 1.1 into HEAD we will break the build for a week or two.  Our
history is that we when the build is broken people continue to work
and we quickly drift from compliance.

I like this plan but I'd like to modify it a bit.

* Freeze HEAD asap... move all work to 1.1 with a focus releasing it
* Once 1.1 is released we start moving feature from the old HEAD
(1.2) branch to new 1.2
     * Noone is allowed to break the build
     * We keep TCK stat at all passed at all times
     * The server is always in a releasable state

If we had that we could have good nightly releases for our users
which reduces the report/fix/test cycle.  This will also allow us to
change our release policy to be time boxed (say every 4 weeks).

I think we are in the ditch again due to the major rearchitecture
David and I did.  Regardless of this being a good or bad solution we
are 3+ months from the last release and the is unacceptable.

-dain